Monday, September 6, 2010

The Weekend

This will be the first of two posts tonight...

I want to briefly talk about what I've been doing in boring ol' Houston since Friday. There are 2 main points I want to discuss: sporting events and ice.

Since its Labor Day weekend, people have been taking everything pretty easy around here. There were two main sporting events going down in Houston this weekend and I attended both. First was the UT vs. Rice football game. I'm no world famous ESPN analyst, but I can tell you that Texas has much to work on to prepare for the conference schedule.

The offense was pretty flat, only squeezing out 34 points against a horrible Rice defense. Garrett Gilbert's reins were held the entire game by offensive DICTATOR coordinator Greg Davis. The defense was solid once it settled down after the first Rice drive. Except for a few freak plays, the rest of the game showed Texas' defensive prowess.

Here is a shot from my seats before the game:


The other sporting event in town over the weekend was the Houston Dynamo (MLS) against the San Jose Earthquakes. The Earthquakes took a lead within 15 minutes and the Dynamo struck back just before half, but a second half strike sent the Earthquakes back to San Jose with a 2-1 victory. 

I have my criticisms of the MLS (Major League Soccer), but for the lack of quality on the field, the game was surprisingly exciting. I will see the change in class when I get to Munich to watch FC Bayern.

My other major development this weekend is that I finally remembered what I will miss most over the next 10 months: My family  my friends my room ICE!!!

Ice is the greatest food in the world. I use the term food to suggest that I eat it. I order every drink with tons of ice and I will just keep a cube in my mouth sometimes because it gets so hot here. Here comes the conflict. Ice is not served anywhere in Europe. Even ice coffee doesn't have ice in it. I am going to feel so "icesick" the entire time. I frankly don't know what to do.

My feeling is I will have to suck it up and drink stuff warm. I guess it is better to be more worried about ice than my lack of German fluency. We'll see about that.

I hope everyone else had a great weekend and probably a more exciting one than I to say the least.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment