Friday, September 3, 2010

Football vs. Fußball

September means football. Whether that means American Football, English Football, Futbol, Füßball or Soccer is up to your interpretation. To me, September means Soccer AND American Football. Coming from the US, I am expected to watch the NFL and NCAA Football, both of which I do. But unlike most Americans, I care about European soccer.

The NFL and NCAA season starts in a few weeks and everyone is getting pumped. I am attending the first game for the Texas Longhorns against Rice University in Houston on Saturday. More excitingly, I am attending a home game for FC Bayern München on September 25th. If you haven't ever heard of them, you are probably American. They are my favorite soccer club team from Munich, Germany. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, here is an analogy. They are the New York Yankees of German soccer. They buy the best players, but they also have the best farm (reserve) system. They play at the nicest stadium, Allianz Arena, as well.


Here is a picture from the inside


During the second weekend of Oktoberfest, I will be going back there for the match against FSV Mainz 05. Bayern will be the major favorites going into the game, but since it will be early on in the season, they still won't have hit their top form. I am very ecstatic because I have watched the team on TV for 5 years and will finally have the chance to see them live.

One other major difference between the two sports is the jersey changeover. In the NFL, teams change jerseys or colors at a much slower rate than in soccer. Since I started watching european soccer in 2004, I have noticed that teams have gone from keeping the same jersey for 3 years to now having a new jersey every year. I am wearing the FC Bayern home jersey from the 2007 season at the moment.

Time for karaoke with my fraternity...I'll hit y'all up later


No comments:

Post a Comment