Sunday, September 26, 2010

First Week

So yes, I have been in Germany about a week and I've done some cool stuff, so I guess I should write something

Last Wednesday, I went to downtown Munich with my first exchange partner from 2005, Max (1). We took the train to Marienplatz (a main square), where I went to the Münzinger Sport store. I bought a brand new FC Bayern München jersey with Bastian Schweinsteiger (#31) on the back. It was expensive, but I always planned on getting it.

Afterward, we walked about 20 minutes to the Philosophy school that Max had studied at the past two years. The building had a cool atrium and courtyard. From there, we strolled over to the main university in Munich, Ludwig-Maximilians Universität. He showed me the memorial for the White Rose group of anti-Nazi. If you don't know the story, a group of about 10 students threw leaflets about the Nazi regime off a balcony at LMU. When they were found out, they were arrested, put to trial and executed. The legacy of the students is that the Allies were smuggled the leaflet, then made millions of copies and airdropped them all over Germany. At UT we have the White Rose Society, and it all started at the place I just visited.

Next, we went to a cafe near the main train station. Max (1) is a semi-hipster, but not exactly. His favorite place to go, naturally, is a small hipster cafe. Its also a bar, so it can get pretty packed on Saturday nights. It was pretty cool. They have art hanging from the wall by featured artists, and it changes every week.

In the following days, I spent all my time catching up on Mad Men. I finished the third season and caught up through the 9 episodes of season 4. It is such a good show. I watch a lot of TV, and I can say that it is one of the top 3 shows out there.

Today, I took a trip with Max (2)'s dad and his friend toward the southwestern part of the country. We took the Autobahn over to Bodensee (Lake Constance). There was a really cool boat show, called Inter Boot Messe. Dozens of companies brought huge yachts to the hall for all to see. You could get on the boats and check out all the features. Some even cost over 150,000 Euros. Pretty insane stuff. We found one that we liked, but of course didn't buy it, but we did get to test ride it.


The Bavaria P28


Bodensee (Lake Constance)


It was all really fun, but the weather was pretty nasty. I'm just ready to go to watch the Texans kick the Cowboys ass in a few hours and to go to Oktoberfest (die Wiesn) on Tuesday. I'll make sure to take lots of pictures there.

I'm finally heading over to my final destination, Freiburg, next Sunday. I'm excited, but it means school is starting soon for me.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and GO TEXANS!!
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment