Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bureaucracy

It has been a stressful few days.


Today is my 4th full day in Freiburg and I have passed a few of the opening "tests" for registration. Everything is very complicated to master to prepare to start school. I thought I had already finished the hard part when I filled out my study abroad application at UT, but was I wrong.

My welcoming packet came with a list of 8 steps to complete in order to enroll in the university. 8 steps doesn't seem so bad, except instead of steps, it is more like tasks. All I can say before I describe my trials is that juggling every one of these things together has been very difficult.

Not to mention, a slight language barrier.

The first step was to register for an apartment, which I had already done months ago. Step 1 (Check)

The second step was to register for residency in the city of Freiburg at the international office. This was very troublesome for two reasons: (a) I didn't know where the office was and (b) I didn't understand which documents I needed to have. Turns out I had to print a few things out, but I had no printer. Thank god for internet cafes. I needed to have my passport and proof of apartment reservation. I thought that I needed a visa, so I started to semi-worry. I made a few phone calls back home and got my parents more worried than I was. Turns out I didn't need it to do a future step, so everything is alright. Step 2 (Check)

The third step is to open a german bank account so I can pay rent. I attempted to do this today. I went in with the necessary documents: Passport, the Residency Registration Confirmation (that I received in Step 2) and the proof of acceptance into the university (Zulassungsbeschied). Big words still confuse me; that's why I was very unaware of how to complete all the steps. I went to the Deutsche Bank location nearby, but they were unavailable to help me today, so I set up an appointment for tomorrow morning. Step 3 (In Progress)

The fourth step is to get proof of health insurance. You have to go into an agency and either sign up and pay for insurance or prove you already bought it and get an exemption from the student insurance. I brought in my Passport, Zuassungsbeschied (see step 3) and my insurance card from the US student insurance I already bought. Step 4 (Check)

The fifth step is where everything gets a little bit dicey. You need to have an appointment in the International office of the city in the Foreign Study department. I called in this morning and made my appointment, but the earliest they can see me is on the 14th, a week from today. I took it, but the deadline for Step 6 is the 15th. It's gonna be close. In order to get my Aufenthaltserlaubnis (Student Residence Permit), I have to bring my Passport, 1 passport photo, my Zulassungsbeschied, my health care exemption form and proof of financial payment (I still don't understand what this document is, but I have a week to figure out). Step 6 (In Progress)

The sixth step is to matriculate in the university. It isn't a difficult thing to do, but you need to have everything else first. I need the Zulassungsbeschied, Passport, Proof of Higher Education entrance qualification from my home university (?!?!?), Confirmation that I did Step 5, Application for registration, the health insurance exemption form and 2 passport photos. It's so many things, but I'm getting there. Step 6 (Incomplete)

The seventh step is easier. I have to go into town and purchase my Semesterticket (Public Transportation Ticket for the whole semester). It costs 73 Euros, which is pricey, but you save a TON of money. I'll explain. Every time you take the bus or street car, you have to pay 2,10 Euros. It adds up, I would know.  You can purchase a 24 hour ticket for 5,30 Euros, which is a sweet deal if you ride 3 times, and I normally do. I have blown so much money on transportation because it is so difficult to get the semester ticket. At least I know how to use the ticketing machine now? Step 7 (Incomplete)

The eighth and final step is a formality. I need to give my bank account information from Step 3 to the Student Social Services so they can withdraw rent every month. Step 8 (Incomplete)

I don't know why this has to be so complicated, but it is. My theory is that this bureaucracy is a test, that if you can pass, you can survive. I'm treading water, but I'm almost back on the dock. By the time I finish this test, it will be time for classes to start.

Looking forward to everything the future holds,
Adam

P.S. Don't think EVERYTHING has been stressful, the post about my fun and adventures is coming up next

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so very familiar. I had an almost identical experience 21 years ago in Würzburg. Nice to hear that things don't change that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Herr Schaaf's post. This is definitely what I think about when I hear about Germany. That and Pünktlichkeit (which German Jews appropriated themselves).

    ReplyDelete
  3. They only do it to see if you are capable of living there....so far, I am not, but I did get my bank account opened today!

    ReplyDelete